Sunday 14 February 2021

Brazillian Jungle/Drum and Bass - Movement (Part 2)

 



In the early naughties DJ Marky and XRS released this tune with Stamina MC on vocals.

The song as well as having a Brazillian connection is connected to the Ldn Jungle/Drum and Bass  club "Movement" where some kung fu guys I know used to do the security during that era.

To me  DJ Marky and this song  represents the Brazillian drum and bass scene. I was very into the scene that birthed  jungle/drum and bass from rave  but by the time  DJ Marky DJ Patife and  J Magic put their  Brazillian spin on it I had put  the jungle/drum and bass scene, on a back burner.

My  switch from electronic music back to live music (in my case afro/latin salsa and then samba) came for me as I stopped going to raves and transitioned from training  kung fu to capoeira. 

The other milestone is I lost my mum around the time I moved from training Kung Fu to Capoeira I don't think I had discovered Capoeira when my mum died. 

But I know I was training capoeira when I first became aware of  DJ Marky and the emergent (Brazillian drum and bass)  I had first heard of Jorge Ben through capoeira and he was sampled in the tune.  

I never would have connected these different things conciously at the time, but looking back  these musical changes paralleled my own life changes and musical journey.

I remember being fascinated by a young Capoeira/BJJ teacher visiting London at the time who played Hip Hop, Jungle/Drum and Bass and Garage rhythms on the pandeiro (tambourine).

I dont know if ever heard Marky DJ in a club and the scene kind of fizzled out (at least in the media) , but I have an active imagination of what the authentic Brazillian Jungle/Drum and Bass party would be like, at least if I chose the djs and programmed the journey .



 


No comments: