Saturday 9 January 2021

Capoeira Angola , The Dance of the Zebra and the 55 Bus

 



Capoeira Angola , The Dance of the Zebra and the 55 Bus


While many of its roots are plain to see the history of Capoeira is complex and there are conflicting stories regarding its origins many of which were probably true for different moments in time.One of the lesser known stories is the capoeiras relation to the Dance of the Zebra "N'Golo" a fertility ritual that survives to this day in Africa where the young eligible men of the tribe "dance" and the winner chooses his bride.This story has to particular resonance to me because of how I met my wife.

My Capoeira Mestre was performing a demonstration at a Brazillian themed night at the Havanna night club in centraal london and his students were invited to assist ,during the roda my mind was focused on the performance but I couldn't help noticing the pretty girl in the audience,being a sunday evening I left the club soon after the performance had finished due to work committments the next day,but as luck would have it who was sitting at the bus stop but the same girl,Her english was rudimentary much like my portuguese, but we struck up conversation and while waiting for the same 55 bus so hopped on together, we chatted so much I actually missed my stop,we swapped phone numbers and our first date was church where we were suitable chaperoned,the rest they say is "herstory".

No comments: