Friday 6 November 2020

Enter the Wu-Tang

 


One summer back in the early nineties I visited the United States.  I have previously blogged about some of my experiences  with  UFO's  Eckankar  and The Justified Ancients of Mu at Camp  Kiwago  (Bear Mountain ) . 

On the first of my few weekends off, I visited New York City. It was the summer that Naz released illmatic and the Wu Tang released the 36 Chambers.  I picked up both tapes on the street and popped them into my bag. I was having a hip hop / RnB epiphany that summer  having mostly been listening to Jungle house and techno back in the UK.

As I travelled back to camp, in a minibus with my co counsellors  all of whom were young black males from the 5 boroughs that I hadn't yet gelled with, and who were a little suspicious of me. They  turned of Funk Master Flex and put the Clan on the stereo. The sound was fresh to us all but I distinctly remember the first thing they played was the  "Torture"  skit from 36 Chambers and my heart skipped a beat or two.

I  had a great summer and returned to the UK in the Autumn.  Inspired by legends of the Shaolin vs Wu Tang I took up Kung Fu but it was Goldie  that I  first heard quote the classic line from "The Wanderers"  "Dont fuck with the Wongs"



No comments: