Saturday 17 October 2020

The Dub Pistols


Dub Pistols release their latest Album "Addict" this week which on one song features the MC Navigator the friend  of a friend (Nev G) . The band have had  a revolving line up over the years and friends of friends have been involved on a number of occasions eg  Billy Borez  of Zero B and Drum Monkeys.  Although I dont know the main man  "Barry Ashworth"  personalIy I was aware of him since his big beat days . I was also fan Rodney P from the "London Posse" and later the "scratch" nights in kings cross. Long before I saw him with the Dub Pistols. I've followed the Ragga Twins since the heady days of rave and their work with Shut up and Dance 

I've had so many memorable experiences at Dub Pistols gigs (good and bad)

 I first saw the band at a "Rise against Racism" festival in Finsbury park  which I attended with my wife  shortly after we met and while we were courting . They were amazing and were joined by Terry Hall and Neville Staples of "The Specials" on stage to perform "Gangsters"

We saw them again at "The Lumiere"  where my wife came back from the ladies introducing me to her new friend, a while later this new friend was up on stage and turned out to be Lindy Leyton

Saw them again at Koko (Camden Palace) where they were joined by Ashley Slater and  supported by "The Herbalizer"  and again at Brixton Jam with Akala

Unfortunately I accidentally upset Seanie Tee at a gig in Bristol he was introducing the band and I said what I thought was an under my breath comment "so wheres the special guest?" (For some reason I was under the impression the Ragga Twins were was going to be a special guests) , unfortunately my comment came out very loud and probably sounded rude Seanie Tee called me out on it, in front if the whole audience , It was a bit embarrassing really but it was smoothed over by a friendly rasta doing security - No harm done just hurt pride.

Lately my sons been singing an alternative version of "mucky weekend" in  the car, apparently he nicked the lyric from an internet  meme.

"Hey you dont touch me there,  this is my no no square"


No comments: