Friday 30 December 2011

Mr C , Cyclone's / Psi Clones & C Conciousness



I first heard of Mr C after he joined forces with "The Shamen" during the entact/ progeny/ synergy era. Prior to joining the Shamen Mr C was a pioneering DJ in the emerging acid house/rave scene. It was the energy and memes of the early tribal/trance that inspired me to explore thee 23rd current, reading about  Templars, Cathars, magick, mysticism, shamanism, martial arts, meditation etc. I remember seeing Mr C and the Shamen play Glastonbury festival finishing their set with re-evolution featuring the vocals of Terrance Mckenna who I was lucky to hear speak at Megatripolis. Around this time a friend told me about a "vision" experienced by the DJ Nik Sequenci or was it Richard Grey who both used to play at Megatripolis  which involved "The Knights of the round table" reincarnated as a dj's to protect an Arthur/Merlin figure, (Mr C)  a Psychic DJ communicating telepathically to his audience through trance .

Mr C's music and events for me have stood the test of time. From "the drop"  to creating Plink Plonk records and opening "The End" with the money generated by the Shamen , and more recently  Superfreq.

For a while Mr C ran a club called "Cyclone" and I enjoyed the wordplay of C clone or Psi clone.  I also attended Vapourspace where I saw The Black Dog play live. I was also lucky to catch LA Synthesis play live at the Fridge. My stand out moment at the End was probably the late set by Mr C in the main room, at Subterrain , but sets  by Matthew B and Roger Sanchez  (S Man)  came a close second.

I also also had a mix tape by Mr C called "Deep C" recorded live at Tokyo Sex Whale the weekend of the Ashton Court free Festival (the night he DJ'd and MC'd on the back a of sublime set by Dave Angel

I often thought about the meaning of the "C" for me it resonated Cybotrons or the scientlogists state of "Clear" or the more mainstream Christ / Cosmic Conciousness rather than those explanations offered by the man himself ;-)

No comments: