Friday 13 March 2009

The Hardcore Continuum

Yesterday I listened to the Simon Reynolds "Hardcore Continuum" lecture.

I haven't had a chance to check out much of the debate it has generated, but it really resonated with me. 
In my view many of these "new" genres are really conjured up in the years preceding their first appearance as on recorded medium
 seeds  are sewn in fleeting moments of DJ's mix.  Are germinated then evolved from the dreams and splinters in the minds eye of the dj's and ravers , to be recreated in the studios of producers and recorded on wax or cd's ,  days, weeks, even years later.

I started to think of my own personal journey the moment when I entered the the continuum , and its intersection with other musical styles in my lfe

ie my own Fwd evolution & re-evolution

-church music (organ and acoustic/folk music)
-recorder , piano,  guitar , violin and clarinet lessons.
-70 and 80 pop
-80's ska, rock & metal
-Hardcore punk, early US electro and rap
-Indie rock and dance
- breakbeat & acid house,bleep techno, house
- Hardcore Rave,
- Jungle / Drum and Bass , Techno and Trance
- Rare Groove , New Jack Swing , Hip Hop, R&B
-Deep House ,Tribal House , Chicago House ,Detroit House, 
-Acid techno
-Speed Garage , 2 Step ,UK Garage , Breaks, Tech House
-Salsa
-Capoeira
-Samba,Forro,Pagode,Axe
-Psi Trance
-Rio Funk, Crunk, Grime, Dubstep
-Dub Reggae
-Funky & Bassline

No comments: