Saturday 9 March 2013

Probably a Robbery (Part 2) - Team Robbo



The now well documented Graffiti Star wars  between Banksy and Robbo got me thinking about a couple of things (aside from whether its all a publicity stunt) and no I wouldn't say that to their faces ;-)
I haven't really taken sides in this war I have resonance with both.
The first Robbo I ever heard of was a onetime member of The Misfits and a member of Black Flag. Black Flag and  The Misfits were both american hardcore punk bands of the eighties Black Flag were quite political, The Misfits were more theatrical. My favourite Misfits song is London Dungeon which Glenn Danzig wrote when he was thrown in prison one night during their only uk tour supporting  "Steve Strange and The Dammed. Another classic Misfits song was Halloween and I've blogged on Glenn Danzig vs the North Side Kings and the synchronicities  between the Graffiti artist Fist A and my kung fu school  Yellow Dragon Fist ) here.
I live in North east London these days and a favourite Team Robbo work was the reappropriation of the Banksy "Tesco flag" in upper street Islington. Banksy comes from my home town Bristol an area which featured riots over the opening of a new tesco. There were no riots in Clapton Pond (where I now live) over a new tesco, just middle class disapproval. 

Banksy's anonymity is stuff of legend. Some have suggested he is 3D  Robert del Naja of Massive Attack.
I remember as a teenager visiting the Barton Hill Skateboard ramp where Banksy3DInkie and Goldie  regularly painted.

For more Robbery's see below

Probably a Robbery - Renegade Soundwave (Part 1) can be found here

Probably a Robbery -The Shadow  (part 3) can be found here

3 comments:

JSteveKane said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/may/11/banksy-slave-labour-mural-row-sale

JSteveKane said...

http://www.upworthy.com/the-coke-ad-that-could-destroy-all-other-products-especially-coke?g=3

JSteveKane said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23461396