Tuesday 21 May 2024

Sherman








 I remember reading the column "Sherman at the Controls" in NME which at the time was a trailblazer for dance music, hip hop and reggae in the rock and indie oriented music press.It was around this time I first read about Shamanism.

At the time I never associated him with the Ben Sherman clothing brand , which was not really on my radar as I was more a  into the metal/ goth/ punk /indie and rave subcultures as a teen. 

I swerved the mod and skinhead scenes as a teenaged as I associated it with a far right presence in my home city . But  I remember years later talking to Sherman about Oasis, Paul Weller, Quadrophenia and the mod asthetic.












It was whilst living a Clays Lane I met Sherman He was a friend of my neighbour "Lovely John" the Bass Bin Brother ,who with Alex Shaolin introduced me to the Mega Dog,  Sabres of Paradise , Cloak and Dagger and The Bad Orb.

Sherman nudged me to think outside my comfort zone in terms of rock. He helped me connect the dots between electro and reggae at Electrocuted and  we monitored  the emergence of Dubstep together at Dubstation , He assumed I was a reggae guy due to my interest in Jungle/Drum and Bass

Shermans Protégé  Carl Loben,  journalist, DJ,  Drum monkey and "Jack said what ?" label owner was in the mix when I discovered The Dub Pistols who sporting their Ben Sherman polo's and sharp suits  brought members of The Specials on stage at the "Rise" Against Racism Festival and the circle was compete.






No comments: