Saturday, 10 October 2026

Wake Up

Wake Up - Isabella Harding

This week I was given a book by a friend of my mums that she had written.  Its's entitled "Wake up". To summarise it's a book of her thoughts on the "awakening"  needed within the Catholic church to meet the needs of our times; climate crisis, cost of living crisis, rise of facism , dropping church attendance and role of women in the church.

I think I first heard the term "Awakening" applied to me when I  going through a journey of my own in the 90's. I was having some rather unusual experiences and I didn't think I had anyone I knew that could share them with ,who would understand or relate to them. I knew I wasn't completely alone due to a book I had read by Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea called "The Illuminatus" but aside from The KLF from whom I had learned about the illuminatus and Spiral Tribe I had no other references.

I remember having theze thoughts to a soundtrack of Laurent Garniers  "Wake up" and DJPC's "Insomniak"

My friend a graffiti artist named Snooze even did a exhibition entitled "wake up"



Eventually I confided in a friend whilst talking about the Illuminatus he said , you should really talk to some friends of mine. These friends turned out to be Thee Temple ov Psychik Youth . I went along to meet them. I told them what was happening and I remember Ray Eden say of "You're having and Awakening you're Waking up." In the terminology of Robert Anton Wilson I was going through "Chapel Perilous".

They encouraged me to think about my dreams , what I ate, whether I wanted to do martial arts and who and how I wanted to love.

Of course since then I read much of eastern and western thought on  Enlightement.

The  concept  was central  to "The Matrix" movie Neo literally "woke up".

In recent years the term woke has be co-opted by the right wing a insult against the "Loony left" and "libtards"  However when I first heard the term it appeared to be emerging from the Black community in relation to those with Social concious and progressive views which I definately support.



No comments: