Saturday 29 April 2023

Insomniak - I must Sleep


I should start this post with a waring my parents used to repeat back in the 60's and 70's when in some circles it was believed  Rock n roll was the Devil's music and some muscians but  particularly those heavy metal musicians like Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath used a technique know as back masking  (recording words backwards) to hide subliminal messages in the music. It was claimed some even recorded the message "Worship Satan"

In the mid eighties I was listening to some metal / hardcore punk and indie.I was huge fan of the Misfits having discovered them through Metallica, The Misfits played with horror and occult imagery even calling their live album EviL Live.

When the Stone Roses released their eponymous 1st album, I noticed on one track they made use of the production technique of playing the music backwards in one track  (I assumed it was a nod to The Beatles who I understand also  did it)

A few years later after I had discovered the Rave scene. There was an early rave tune by DJ PC called "Insomniac"  with the refain  "Insomniac , I must sleep"  or was it "Insomniac , I'm asleep"  I always figured it was the first as the second would make no sense. After all  being asleep is the reverse of being an Insomniac.

A few years later still I was with my friend Jonny  Jedi .We were mixing records and he played the Insomniac tune, I commented on my confusion over what it said,  so he manually stopped it to play it back.

It was only then we realised what the producers had discovered, when the word Insomniac is played backwards the  phrase "I'm asleep/I must sleep" is the result !

Click the link or more tales from Thee Way ov the Dream Warrior

No comments: