Monday 5 November 2012

Pirates


During my childhood years my parents used to enter my brothers and I in an annual carnival held in my mums hometown Hayle (Cornwall) , our costumes were always based on a theme and one of my favourites was when we dressed as Pirates , equipped with swords and Skull and Crossbones. My Mother used to tell how our Great Great Grandfather was the Captain of a steam ship named the "SS HAyle" which ran aground in the Hayle estuary, I like to think he led a double life as actual a Cornish Sea Pirate that ran it a ground in order make off with the booty.

Hayle is a few miles from Penzance famed for its Pirates, which are celebrated each August Bank holiday monday on "Pirate Day"

The Pirate and outlaw meme was reinforced during my child by Adam Ant who played the outlaw archetype well.




The main commercial radio station in Cornwall is Pirate fm

When I first moved from Bristol to London in the early nineties I was living to a soundtrack an of Acid House, Hardcore Rave , Jungle Tekno / Drum and Bass and it was the "Pirate" radio stations the likes of F.T.P. (Bristol), Weekend Rush ,Pulse FM, Kool FM & Rinse (London) which fed the vibes. 
I had my own a encounter with the London pirates Rush FM in the mid 90's and as a DJ  on Jelly FM.
I recently discovered I'm not the first in my family to dabble in pirate radio my uncle played rock and roll from one of the infamous ships in the 60's.

Years later The Hollywood film "The Pirates of the Caribbean" brought the Pirate meme back to global conciousness.it touched on the magical and mystical and Goddess Spirituality.

These days my son watches "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" on the Disney Channel




No comments: